CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Gram

Tuesday – January 6, 2009

…Gramma Foxy…
It has been 3 months since this amazing, adorable, ornery, stubborn, funny and gentle woman passed away. I have tried many times to write about this event but haven’t been able…emotions have just been too high. I guess time does make some things easier.
My Gram passed away on October 6th, 2008. Gram had just started to be her spunky self after 2 years of sitting on the couch following a broken hip. She was finally starting to walk a little again and actually had a more positive outlook on life than she had for a while. It was so good for everyone to see her like this.
She was on her way to another Dr Appt when she decided to take off walking by herself to the car –well she fell and broke her other hip (good grief).
So Gram fell on Thursday and was in surgery on Friday. The surgery went well…they were actually able to make her legs the same length this time. Bonus if you are trying to walk. Ha ha
We were able to go up and see her on Sunday and had a fun visit w/ her. She held Ruby, showed Mabry how she did her breathing treatments and talked about the economy w/ Chuckles. She was happy and the mood was great. She was scheduled to go into an assisted living the next day for some INTENSE therapy. No way was it going to take her 2 more years to start walking around again.
Monday morning came and I was getting ready for work. The phone rang about 5:30 am…never good when the phone rings that early. Gram had suffered a brain aneurism and was in a coma. They didn’t give her very long to live. I was already dressed since I was on my way to work, I called Kimmy quickly and she agreed to pick me up.
I was pretty numb ever since the phone rang. Not sure what to expect? How serious was this? Is this really happening? She was so spunky the afternoon before. I was just talking to her not even 12 hours ago. Why does this happen? Is there anything they can do for her?
It was difficult to see my family members so sad. Difficult to see my dad, who has always been ten foot tall and bullet-proof, with red eyes and a heavy heart.
I will spare the details of the hospital but the mood was dreary and yet…I had a very peaceful feeling in my heart. I know this peace was from listening to General Conference that weekend and feeling the positive spirit from the talks.
I didn’t want anyone to speak or move…I just wanted to feel the peace and know what I believe. Gram was going to be re-united w/ my Gramps after a very long 12 years. She wasn’t going to be in pain and wouldn’t have to go thru the dreaded physical therapy that we all knew she hated. Still…the loss of a loved one…the one and only Gramma Foxy would be so hard for us all.
The funeral was very quaint and brought even more comfort from the words that were said. The most common thing repeated were the words un-conditional love for her family. No matter what…you always knew that Gram was there for you.
Even if you got a butterfly tattoo on your ankle, didn’t make it to a family party or didn’t make it to visit as much as you should have. Gram was there w/ a smile or a song just for you.
Thanks for making life a little sweeter Gram. We miss and love and can’t wait to see you again! – Love – Chuckles, Karisa, Mabry and Ruby

2 comments:

Lisa said...

What a great tribute to your grams. Filled with lots and lots of love...

Melissa said...

Karis,

This was a beautiful tribute to your Grammy. Thank you for sharing it with us.